Monday, November 12, 2012

Uninvited


think I'll head to the biker bar tonight
all chain drive and black leathered
meet up with Johnny and Jack
shoot some pool, knock some heads
lose a tooth or two
over some hard ridin mama
in torn jeans and greasy bandana

I'll close my eyes, loll my head,
sway drunkenly to the Allmans
then spit in a shout out
"Hey! Somebody play some fuckin Thorogood!"

then, just before I'm half-patched in
I'll punch in an entire album
of Sarah McLachlan and walk out

I'll stagger to that blues bar
Second and Broadway
black shades and hoodie
a fat ruby in my ear

my head will nod smile-less
to Muddy Waters
while I find my rhythm
and ebony Goddess

but just before I master
the fifteen-step handshake
I'll punch in Barry Manilow's
greatest hits
before walking out

tomorrow, I'll go to church
front pew and Christmas aftershave
belting out Amazing Grace
while fixing a little boy's collar

I'll eat their bread
cry tears of confession
shout out for salvation

but then
just before learning tongues, instead of
drinking their kool-aid,
I'll pull out the flask
light up a joint

and head for the door
singing, I drink alone,
all by myself

what can I say?
I just love to fuck up
a good party